Every week millions of interesting links pop up around the Web. Some detail updates and advances in technology, some provide great insight to marketing strategies and tactics, some broaden our knowledge of the world around us, and others are just plain out-there. Since most of the staff at Aristotle share these links with each other, we thought we’d share them with you too. Enjoy.
- Mashable publishes glossary of Twitter abbreviations.
Yeah, you’re down with the @ and the RTs, but do you know, CX, AFAIK, MT, ICYMI, SMH, RLRT, OH, and ^? These and other bits of Twitter lingo demystified for the Twi-curious.
- Yelp buys SeatMe, an OpenTable competitor.
The localized listing service has an uphill battle competing with the increasingly ubiquitous OpenTable app, but it needed a good online reservation option to stay viable, and this does that.
- Can Promoted Posts help your business on Facebook?
Pretty good article explaining Promoted Posts and how they work, and what kind of results you can expect. We’ve done a lot of these successfully. If you need help with your brand’s Facebook strategy, please give me a call.
- Good advice from one of YouTube’s own chief strategists on how to get your videos to climb in the rankings.
It starts with having great content, sure, but there’s a lot more to it than that.
- Pope Francis is breaking new papal and social media ground with the news he’ll offer time off of purgatory to his Twitter followers.
I’m guessing few businesses will be able to replicate this particular outreach strategy.
ONLINE MARKETING & SEARCH ENGINE OPTIMIZATION
- Google’s got a new “Panda update” rolling out over the next few days.
This one’s “more finely targeted” they say, and “softens” the search algorithm a bit. Let us know if you notice changes in your site’s rankings!
- US digital ad spend per user keeps going up.
The per-user online ad spend has quadrupled in the past 10 years. What about your business? Are you spending more each year in online advertising?
DESIGN & DELIGHT
- Fascinating interview with one of the hottest web typographers around.
How much thought have you given lately to what fonts you use online? This fella thinks about it a lot, and does some beautiful work.
- Playing with your food?
Food as art. Or…something. A few fun Vines with high caloric content.
- The Wizard of Ahhhs
One of this week’s top viral sensations on YouTube is a creative Wizard of Oz-themed mashup with some good singin’.